Saturday, February 16, 2013

Improv Modern Quilt/Binding Trio

I just finished piecing an improv/random modern quilt.  I have to say that it was harder than I thought it would be.  I decided to make large blocks (15” x 20”).  I originally wanted large blocks of color inside each block, but decided that there wasn’t enough movement or contrast.  I started slashing blocks and adding additional fabrics. 

Now that it is done, I am not sure I will do another one of these quilts.  I like the order that following a pattern brings to my quilts. The repetitive patterns in the quilt are really the beauty of quilts. This quilt is for my nephew.  I made the bleachers quilt for his brother (seen in the header of this page).  I used the same color way for each quilt.  I appreciate them both but prefer the bleachers quilt.

I had three quilts to bind over the Mardi Gras break.   The first quilt is for my niece who asked if I would make her a t-shirt quilt from her sorority t-shirts.  I decide that I couldn't leave out her only sister, so I created an “ombre” color way quilt from scrapes for her.  For both of these quilts I just trimmed the batting from the quilt sandwich, cut the back fabric (2.5 inches from the seam) and folded over and top stitched.  The t-shirt quilt is wonderful, but I love the ombre quilt.  It was very easy to construct and has a great impact.

The third quilt that needed binding was the Buttonholes quilt (also seen in the header of this page).  I used so many fabrics on the front and back, I couldn’t decide on what fabric to use for the binding.  I love the “piano keys” strip that I used for the back.  I thought that would also look great as the binding.

I created strip sets from all the fabric used in the quilt.  I cut  2.5” strips and sewed those together.  I ironed it in half and sewed the raw edge of the strip to the back of the quilt.  I decided not to just pull the binding over and topstitch.  (It never crossed my mind to sew by hand).  I turned the binding to the seam between the binding and quilt to the side and then topstitched.  I made it look like a pillowcase seam.  The piano key binding was only on the front and the back had an infinity or bleed look.  I thought it turned out great.  I just hope that it doesn’t turn after washing and with use.

No comments:

Post a Comment