Monday, February 25, 2013

QuiltCon

I have returned from Quilt Con in Austin.  The Quilt Show was inspiring.  The designs of the piecing of the tops were fine, but the quilting itself was outstanding.  It really highlighted the importance of the quilting.

I never know how to distinguish quilting as the 'sewing together of pieces of fabric' and quilting as the 'sewing together the quilt sandwich'.  I sew together fabric pieces.  At QuiltCon, I was told that I quilt by check because I send my quilt tops out to be quilted.  I believe that there is some artistry in sewing together fabric pieces, but sewing the quilt sandwich together is the real gift.  The quilting (of the quilt sandwich) makes the quilt.

DL Quilts has posted 194 photos from QuitCon. 

Great Store In Austin

While in Austin, I discover a wonderful store, WalkerHall Designs.  They were having a great sale on fat quarters and some yardage.  I haven’t decided what to do with this fabric, but this is what I purchased.


UFO's Flying Around My Head

Quilters have tagged a unique meaning onto the term UFO. They're not objects flying around in the sky (unless we toss them around because they're so ugly). A UFO is an Unfinished Object--the remnants of those quilts we start to make but never seem to finish.

I started counting and I have six unfinished quilts.  Most of the tops are complete.  I need to design the quilt backs and have them “quilted by check.”

Flying Geese
Intersection
Big Star
Modified Bleachers

Otomi Inspired
Inprov Modern

New Ideas for Quilts

I currently have two ideas for quilts. The fabrics are on the left and the patterns that inspire me are on the right.

Sun Kissed by Michele D'Amore Fabrics
Anita's Arrowhead
Cotton Chevron by Riley Blake Designs

Modern Asterisk


No comments:

Post a Comment