Saturday, April 5, 2014

I can’t believe that it’s been a year since I posted anything on this blog.  I guess that means I have been busy; that is a good thing. 

Of course lots of things have happened in a year.  An exciting development is that Baton Rouge has formed a Modern Quilt Guild, called Not Your Mamma Modern Quilt Guild.  Our Guild President, JoPaula, has been acting as my un-official booking agent.  Through her contacts I have shown my quilts at RememberMe Quilters Guild (Baton Rouge) and the Gulf States Quilting Association Regional Show in Slidell, LA.

Let me tell you about my latest completed quilts:

Fabric From Austin
While in Austin last year for Quilt Con, I discover a wonderful store, WalkerHall Designs and bought some gray fabrics.  I decided to organically create blocks.  Once I made my first four blocks, I quickly decided to repeat those block patterns for the quilt.  I add the punch of blue and acid green colors.   


      

Up-Cycle Quilt as You Go
I purchased several stripes shirts from Goodwill.  I cut them into rectangles.  I sewed the rectangles into long strips and then sewed the strips onto the quilt sandwich (back of the quilt and batting).  I laid the next strip down (right side down), sewed and ironed it opened (repeat).  The front doesn’t look like it is quilted, but you can see the quilting /sew lines on the back.



Gee’s Bend Type
This is a great video about Quilt Makers of Gee’s Bend Quilting http://vimeo.com/50174695  This quilt was inspired by their work. 


Spanish Tile
I saw Spanish Tile design by Heather Mulder Peterson, “Living Large 2” online and thought it was a great design.  I didn’t buy a pattern, I just created one.  I quilted this myself.




Anita’s Arrowhead
I took a Craftsy online class with Anita Grossman Soloman and created this Anita’s Arrowhead Quilt.  I really love the fabric.  I wish I would have made the quilt a little bigger.



Jelly Roll Cut Up
I purchased this 2wenty-thr3e jellyroll fabric by Moda fabric online thinking it would be great baby quilts for my grand nieces.  I didn’t know what to do with the fabric.  I decided to “jellyroll race” the fabric.  I cut the fabric into blocks and then improvisational pieced them into the quilt.  I liked it so much I kept the quilts.




David Butler
When I saw the David Butler Fabric on line I knew I had to purchase the whole collection (got to support men in the business).  This simple block/door design really showcased the great fabric.




Cross Quilt
My wife wanted a turquoise and white quilt.  We decided on this large cross and block pattern.


Paper Piecing
I wanted to try my hand at paper piecing.  I drew a block in excel and make several copies.  I sewed the fabric to one corner not wanting a sharp point in the corner.  Joined four blocks together and repeated.  Use lot of scraps from the stash.




Shot Cotton
I really love this shot cotton fabric; although it really frays once its cut.  I design a pattern with lot of intersection on Excel.   


Joe Cunningham
I learned about Joe Cunningham online.  I really like his use of fusible bias tape on quilts.  This is my version.  It is also the first quilt that I machined quilted (random lines).





No comments:

Post a Comment